Sunday, November 25, 2007

Eating in Hanoi A Subject I Love

Ok when and if you go to Hanoi there is food of all kinds available. You want it you can find it. The picky American palate(a shame in this place) and it is ok, Al Fresco's has pizza, ribs, pseudo Mexican and other western style dishes. Actually their ribs and wings are quite good and the pizza is ok in a pinch. Also The Press Club Restaurant and Deli serve western style meals and sandwiches. Really desperate for good ole' American there are several KFC's in Hanoi. I went once just to see how it stacked up. Chicken was ok, fries ok ketchup sucked!

In general I avoided western food as I live Asian cuisine as well as food from other parts of the world. I imagine there are other good western eats but I do not know as I really did not look for them. Now for what I liked.

1. Quan An Ngan. This is a very traditional Vietnamese restaurant. when we were there we were the only non Vietnamese until a group of Aussies came in as we were leaving. One of our in country facilitators took us here and said it was one of her favorite places. Well it was packed and we had to wait put oh man was it worth it. We had grilled rice cakes, fried tofu, a pork ball and noodle soup, spring rolls, shrimp fritters and ginger chicken wings with rice. All was topped off by a seaweed and coconut milk shake. The place was amazing and for 4 people all of that food cost something like 8 dollars US. I would rate it as my number 1 favorite place to eat here.
Address is
18 Phan Boi Chau
Quan Hoan Kiem Hanoi

2. Lan Van ( Spelling is wrong I know and I forgot the address)
We went here twice and both times also amazing. It was a close second to the above. Hmm like above it is served Vietnamese style lots of dishes and you get alittle at a time in your bowl. Ok some of the things we had, beef with chili and lemongrass, chicken and lemon, glazed pork in clay pot(amazing), variety of spring rolls, grilled corn, eggplant, squid and chicken salad(not like a salad you are thinking and very good), sauteed veggies in claypot, a great spinach dish and cabbage stew which was also great. Entire meal for 9 persons was around 25$

3. Dinh Lang Thuy Resturant. This place is a little pricey by Vietnamese standards($7-10 a person) and you choose from several set menus. For ours we had spring roll starters, a spicy hot beef salad, grilled fish, Vietnamese bbq pork, Vietnamese veggie soup and lotus wrapped rice topped of with great ice cream for dessert. Location is amazing as it over look Hoan Kiem Lake. Address is
1 Le Thai To St. 2nd floor.

4. Street food, well I ate at several street food vendors, from beef or pork balls, to pho to kebabs all were amazing and you cannot list them all, be brave and give it a shot.

5. Brothers Cafe. This is also a little pricey but worth it to try alot of different things.(14$ a person) It is a huge Vietnamese buffet and BBQ set in the courtyard of a french villa. They have roast suckling pig and carve what you want right there. They grill fresh as you watch a variety of meats poultry and seafood(you name it they have it. There is also so many rice noodle and other dishes you will be stuffed to try them all. They have 4 different ladies making all kinds of soups fresh as you watch. We went once it was worth it but other cheaper places. Oh the desserts were great here.
26 Nguyen Thai Hoc St.

6.Tandoor Hanoi. If you like Indian food you have to go here. I had probably one of the best chicken vindaloos i have ever had. Garlic nan bread awesome as well. three of us ate here for 9$
24 Hang Be St
Hoan Kiem Dist.

7. Cyclobar. It is a cool concept, sit in old cyclos to eat. Not quite as authentic Vietnamese but still good. We wanted to try some Vietnamese French fusion why we were here and this place did not disappoint. Starter was Taste of Hanoi, It was grilled prawns, calamari and spring rolls with fish sauce to dip..BTW fish sauce is everywhere and I love it. Our meal was grilled duck breast over scalloped potatoes with veggies and a caramelized apple sauce. It was sinful it was so good. Dessert was probably the best I had in Hanoi. I had bignets with ice cream and chocolate sauce and the wife had chocolate mousse. Both amazing. Entire meal was about 14 dollars including wine and beer.
38 Duong Thanh St.

8. Shark Fin restaurant Hotel Fortuna. Ok it was in a hotel but pretty good Chinese food. We had sauteed veggies and a duck in black pepper sauce with rice. very good and was about 10$. he hotel food tends to be a little more pricey but all in all ok.

Strangest thing I ate? Pickled jellyfish. It was pretty good, and finally authentic kimchee was great. Sea cucumber was good but texture kind of funny. The seaweed and coconut milkshake while very good was just way to sweet for me. You just have to be adventurous and have the guts to say order for me, heck I will try it. I tried many kinds of foods some i would eat over and over some not ever again(durian) but just go for it. Funny thing I ate so much of the local food when I got home my sister said I smelled funny as i was sweating. MMM god I love that fish sauce!LOL!

2 comments:

Sue said...

Wow, I am jotting this infor down!! Thank you so much!

Andrea said...

I'm definitely printing out your list! I, too, love vietnamese food and can't wait to get my fill. Thank you so much for putting this all together for future traveling PAPs. What a resource!